Sunday, May 1, 2011

Opinion: Abuse of women and girls

In the paragraph where I talked about how the Janjaweed are raping girls nonstop and using them as sex slaves- I don’t think anyone can really understand the level of brutality and horror that goes behind rape especially in this case because the Janjaweed have such extreme tactics when it comes to humiliating women. I read a few interviews that were taken by women in refugee camps, and they talked about their experiences being raped, and I can’t even comprehend the situation that these women are put in. I didn’t even want to add their stories into my blog because they are so graphic but I think it is one of the biggest issues because in some cases it’s worse than death. Even in the video they showed a brief clip of a women saying she was raped next to her husband’s dead body, and I can’t imagine anything that could get more disrespectful than that. Plus the fact that there is a group of Janjaweed women singing while other women and even little girls are being beaten and raped; it’s unconscionable.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that rape was one of the worst weapons used in genocide. In the Bosnian genocide it was also used as one of the most harmful tactics the soldiers could use, because not only would they rape them but they would torture and kill them as well. Seeing some of the survivor stories that came from genocide rape victims was extremely difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete